Each year, Crossville celebrates Earth Day by calculating the totals of our unique, extensive recycling programs. Between our Tile Take-Back® and TOTO recycling partnership, we are able to spare literally millions of pounds of fired porcelain waste from entering landfills. Here’s our press release announcing this year’s exciting totals.
CROSSVILLE ANNOUNCES LATEST RECYCLING PROGRAM MILESTONES
Maintains Net Waste Consumption Through Tile Take-Back® Program, TOTO Partnership
CROSSVILLE, Tenn. – Officials with domestic tile manufacturer Crossville Inc. have announced the company recycled 14,255,082 pounds of fired porcelain in 2014, bringing the company’s cumulative recycling total to nearly 53.5 million pounds since the 2009 launch of the Tile Take-Back® program and subsequent TOTO USA recycling partnership.
These recycling initiatives are based on the company’s proprietary process for recycling fired porcelain products, including post consumer materials. Through Tile Take-Back®, Crossville is able to recycle previously installed tile collected from its distribution network, as well as scraps that result from tile cutting during installation, sizing, or sample creation. Through its TOTO partnership, Crossville receives pre-consumer fired porcelain toilets that do not meet quality standards; prior to the partnership, these cast-offs were being sent to landfills for disposal.
All 53.5 million pounds of diverted material have been or will be recycled into feed stock to manufacture new tile, leading Crossville to maintain net waste consumption at its plants for a fourth consecutive year. Net waste consumption is achieved by using more waste than is created during production.
Through the aforementioned recycling initiatives, Crossville achieved the following in 2014:
– ground and reused 6,040,062 pounds of fired scrap produced at the company’s plants that would have previously gone to landfills
– received and recycled 160,640 pounds of waste including scraps and post-consumer tile extracted from renovation projects (up from 87,411 pounds in 2013), and
– received and recycled 8,054,380 pounds of TOTO’s scrap porcelain—an increase of 765,520 pounds from 2013.
Since the Tile Take-Back® launch in 2009, the company’s cumulative recycling totals include:
– more than 24 million pounds of fired scrap produced at Crossville’s plants
– over 460,000 pounds of scrap and post-consumer tile
– just over 29 million pounds of scrap porcelain from TOTO USA.
Crossville officials note that amount of fired porcelain waste acquired from the marketplace as part of Tile Take-Back® increased significantly in 2014, indicating increased support and participation from the company’s distribution network. Likewise, the amount of scrap porcelain from TOTO was up in 2014, further contributing to the yearly and cumulative totals.
Tile Take-Back® and the TOTO USA partnership are just two of many sustainable practices Crossville maintains companywide. In 2014, Crossville released the first-ever Sustainability Report by a tile-only manufacturer. For more information about all of Crossville’s sustainability practices, visit http:// crossvilleinc.com/contract/sustainability/practices_and_partnerships.
About Crossville’s Recycling Initiatives
Tile Take-Back Program®
The Tile Take-Back® program is Crossville’s answer to the major environmental problem facing the tile industry today: the recycling of fired tile. Because this program is so beneficial throughout the industry, Crossville openly accepts post-consumer tile from other brands as well as projects not originating from Crossville.
TOTO USA Partnership
In 2011, Crossville launched a partnership with sanitaryware manufacturer TOTO USA to receive and recycle that company’s fired porcelain refuse. Today, there is recycled content in every square foot of porcelain tile produced by Crossville because of the harvested material from TOTO, reducing the need for raw materials for tile production.
About Crossville, Inc.
Founded in 1986, Crossville Inc. is a U.S.-owned and operated manufacturer of award-winning tile collections for residential and contract applications. Its headquarters and manufacturing facilities are located in Crossville, Tennessee. Crossville, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Curran Group, a privately held holding company renowned for its core values of family, respect, partnership, integrity, and improvement.
An industry innovator, Crossville is the first U.S. tile manufacturer to achieve the following:
– produce large format tile on site,
– manufacture tile with certified recycled content,
– develop the Tile Take-Back® Program for recycling fired porcelain tile,
– achieve certification of its waste recycling programs,
– achieve TCNA’s Green Squared certification for all of its U.S.-produced tile lines,
– distribute a complete line of large format, thin porcelain panels (Laminam by Crossville), and
– become a net consumer of waste.
For more information on Crossville, visit crossvilleinc.com.